Lesson #101: Stop Waiting on Your Hogwarts Letter

I have some very bad news. Very bad news, indeed.

Your Hogwarts letter isn't coming.


That's right. I'm about to make an analogy between Harry Potter and life. Because I'm THAT person. But, probably, a little piece of you needs to hear this. Lord knows we all do sometimes.

I have a friend who has recently been in the midst of a Quarter Life Crisis. The QLC is unique to each person, but it seems like a pretty normal result of the transition between academia and the "Real World" that we've been working towards for the past 18 or so years of our lives.

This is it?! I've been working my ass off for 18 years and this is what the result is? That just can't be right.

 Probably even more frustrating for our generation, is that there is no quick fix. You can't Google your quarter-life crisis away. I know this because I tried. The top result recommended me to a page called "What? I can't get drunk from soaking my feet in vodka??"

At least Google had a suggestion, I guess.

And so there is a tendency to sit. And wait. And stay miserable. Because surely something cool is on it's way. Surely, as a special snowflake, the lottery will go the right way one day. Maybe one day Hogwarts will come calling.

That's all wrong. Your Hogwarts letter isn't coming. But if you take a step back, meditate for a while and look at the world, you'll realize that you don't really need it after all. Magic already exists. We have the ability to transfer information immediately. To fly from one place to any other in the world in a matter of hours. To turn things into other things. To pick career paths that truly engage us. To start and put out fires. To create life. To profoundly affect the world around us. And it is, if you really stop and think about it, incredibly cool to be alive.

But in order to enjoy it, we have to stop waiting. Tomorrow is now today.

This is it.

And that depression and feeling of crisis just means you haven't found your oyster yet. Try something different. If that doesn't work, try something else.

It's a big, magical world. You'll find it eventually.

I promise.
0 Responses